113 E. Airy Street
Norristown, PA 19401
Monday to Thursday
10:00 AM-3:00 PM
10:00 AM – 12:00 noon
(September through May only):
Monday and Wednesday
Other times by appointment.
LCN is a non-profit, non-religious-affiliated organization founded in 1984.
- 1984: Katharine Dosch and Margaret Geary represented the First Presbyterian Church of Norristown at a meeting of the Norristown Ministerium that focused on literacy. This was the beginning of what would become the Literacy Council of Norristown.
- March 1984: LCN’s first tutors are trained.
- 1986: The LCN received its first grant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. By this time, LCN had 67 tutors.
- 1987: LCN was incorporated as a non-profit corporation run by a Board of Directors.
- 1990: English as a second language classes are begun.
- 2000: First workplace outreach program to LeBus Bakery in King of Prussia.
- September 2004: LCN celebrates its 20th anniversary with a gathering of past and present staff, tutors, students, and community leaders.
- LCN has approximately 60 active tutors serving 70 adult learners in our one-on-one program.
- We offer day and evening English as a second language (ESL) classes on-site to serve our changing community.
- LCN provides outreach to workers in the workplace. There are workplace literacy classes for the ACTS communities in Fort Washington and Spring House.
Our staff and board speak at meetings of other community organizations and corporate sponsors in an effort to spread the word about LCN’s work.